Sunday 29 July 2012

Fossils, Strawberries, Patchwork and a Pig

So I've shared my Somerset patchwork block with you but what about our little holiday?

Our camp site was at the foot of the beautiful Quantock Hills....

What glorious weather we had for those few days we were away?!

The sun never stopped shining :)

Here are a few of the things we got up to..........

Lots of dining (and a bit of drinking) al fresco!

I love it when the weather's good as Chris likes to take charge of our little gas barbeque and I don't have to cook!!



 
Visiting the animals where we were staying.......chickens, sheep and pigs...this muddy one was fast asleep in the shade.....


Some patchwork of course.....



The beautiful Somerset farmland........


Chilling out under Harvey J.....


And under my Wool-eater blanket........yes that's my knees!



Pretty cornflowers....


Fish and chips for lunch.......

....whilst watching the boats in Watchet's pretty harbour.....


Walks with Spencer in the evening sun.....


Strawberry fields.......for as far as the eye can see.....


Relaxing with more patchwork and Chris carving a sculpture from wood.....


Visiting the spectacular Jurassic Kilve Beach........


.....with it's extraordinary rock formations of limestone and shale.....




.....and fabulous fossils...............


......we found some ammonites but there are reptile remains too.....


I definitely recommend a visit if you like rocks, fossils, rock pools.......the kids will love it.....and so will the dog :).............


Also time for a spot of knitting.............


And on the last day, a delicious cooked breakfast of course ;)


See you soon,

Maggie xx

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had a great time and I am so glad that Spencer enjoys his travels in Harvey J with you all! May you all have many years of happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a brilliant holiday - knitting, patchwork, fossils, cornflowers (so pretty) and even a tasty grilled breakfast - sounds pretty close to perfect. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maggie! Oh, how wonderful! Spencer looks like he is having a grand time in those photos!
    I'm so glad the weather was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing your lovely pics with us The fossils are amazing and I love your BBQ so impressed with the eggs!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maggie, Thanks for visiting me. I really liked your blog. You dabble in so many things and it looks like you are having fun. I plan to make a quilt someday but it seems very difficult.I do knit sometimes but crochet goes so much faster, isn't it? I also liked the stories about Spencer. He is so cute!
    Thanks for sharing your lovely pics. Let us keep in touch.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those fossils are definitely impressive! Seems like you had a wonderful time :) Can't wait to see the finished patchwork blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great vacation! Next time I want to go with! LOL! Especially with Chris doing all the cooking! LOL! It was perfect...outdoors, green grass (we haven't had any all summer), cooking outdoors always tastes so good and of course a little toddy in the afternoon. Spencer looked like he was enjoying himself immensely!
    Plus, you both got to enjoy your hobbies too. Perfect! Beautiful scenery and I would have been in heaven with all the rocks and fossils. And here it is Sunday morning and I'm looking at that beautiful breakfast! I need to go eat now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! I love the way you take us on holiday with you. I felt like I was there! The rock formations are very interesting. I would have fun exploring the area.

    I rarely see quilt books with the block patterns now. Now they all have the rotary or paper foundations. I should have kept my old books and magazines with patterns.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!