Sunday 17 March 2013

Beach Crochet

Thank you so much for all your kind and lovely comments on our wedding post!
 
I've been very busy recently and I'm finding it difficult to find the time for blogging. Also I've hardly had time to do any crafts so not too much new to show in that line. I'm also missing reading your lovely blogs. I'm sure life will slow down a bit soon and I will have time to catch up with you.
 
As there is a distinct lack of current projects, I will show you the crocheted squares I made whilst on holiday.
 
I knew I would want to do some crafts whilst I was away, so I packed my suitcase with balls of yarn, crochet hooks, knitting needles, cotton fabrics and a sewing kit!

I found that crochet was the easiest craft to do....I could take it to the beach or the poolside....it was very portable......as I only needed my hook and a ball of yarn. You can't see it very well in the photo but my sister, Clare, gave me this gorgeous bag for my birthday and it was perfect for carrying my crochet!

 
I only took one crochet book away with me.....20 to Make Crocheted Granny Squares by Val Pierce....which I had received as a Christmas gift from my parents......it was ideal to pack in my case because it was slim and light.


I wanted to try all the different patterns in the book that would make a similar size square in the hope of sewing them all together to make a pretty cushion or cosy blanket.
 
So here are the squares I made:

Alpine Meadow Square
 
Tudor Rose Square

Nursery Granny Squares
Poppies and Daisies
Pinwheel Circle
Traditional Granny Squares
Some patterns I enjoyed more than others. I enjoyed making the pin wheel circle but didn't like the look of it when completed!  I made lots of good old traditional granny squares as I didn't need to follow the pattern :)
 
And here's all my holiday crochet together....


As you can see, they didn't all end up the same size......and look at all those ends!
 
I think I'll sew them together to make a cushion :)
 
Maggie xx

3 comments:

  1. They all look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lovely work has inspired me to do more knitting and crocheting. Right now, in my spare time from finishing up the Smithers 2013 Centennial Quilt, I've found some comic relief in knitting a rug with recycled t-shirt strips, very fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My squares never turn out the same size either. I don't know how people can be so consistent. Yours are wonderful, and will make such a fun cushion.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!