Thursday 18 October 2012

Friendship Star Quilt

Tonight I want to tell you about and show you a quilt that I made a while ago.


I found the pattern in the fabulous quilting book 'Scrap Quilt Sensation' by Katharine Guerrier.



Katharine calls the pattern 'Galaxy of Stars and Scraps' and it consists of Friendship Star blocks.........


 and Eight-Pointed Star Blocks.......


One of the reasons I am drawn to this pattern is that I love the secondary diamond pattern that forms when the blocks are sewn together.........


I also loved choosing all the different fabrics and sorting them into lights, brights and darks :)


My quilt is made from 16 blocks altogether ....much smaller than Katharine's.......but it's a handy lap quilt size.....


When I made this quilt I didn't have any particular plans for it.
I wasn't sure if it was a keeper or if I would sell it. It wasn't a quick quilt to make taking many (very enjoyable) hours over several weeks.


I chose four colourful Batik fabrics for the backing......
 

When the quilt was completed, I made the decision to sell it.
I received lots of lovely compliments and some offers for my quilt but the right nice new home just didn't materialise :(
 
Well, until now that is...:)
 
It's funny and it's almost as if it was meant to be...... I had always pictured it laid across our little sofa by the woodburner. I knew it would look good here as I had tried it there before and loved it!
This morning I thought I would try it again....and again I loved it!


So now it's there to stay :)


Spencer seems to approve although he kind of looks like he's thinking...'Oh no, Mum's rearranging things again'.......


A bit later on, I decided to give some of my (rather flat) cushions a new lease of life with some nice new cushion pads...


It wasn't long before Max had rearranged the cushions to his own design and had obviously decided that this was a very comfortable and cosy place to sleep....


He's slept there all afternoon....


And is still there now.......he looks like a little prince on that cushion!


See you next time!
 
Maggie xx

13 comments:

  1. Oh Maggie! I've missed visiting your blog, thought often of your lovely family and SO GLAD I stopped back today! What a gorgeous quilt and pattern. I may have to look for that book. My biggest problem is color selection. I love scrap quilts....everyone else's that is! LOL! Maybe I need a course in color theory or something. It does look great on your sofa and of course, so does Max! LOL!
    How's my Spencer doing? (Notice I've appointed myself Godmother?)
    I just finished some snowmen blocks for an exchange but can't wait until Winter when I can do some serious sewing! You're inspiring me to get to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a stunning quilt, and it does look perfect on your loveseat. Does Spencer get nervous when you rearrange? Alfie certainly does. We were moving furniture a lot last week for new carpeting in the upstairs hall and office/sitting room. Alfie was a nervous wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are tight it looks amazing there! I am going to learnt o quilt next year (my new years resolution) but think it will take me years to get as good as that!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right to keep it, it's gorgeous!
    It's looking so cosy there with a sleepy cat on it....
    Love from Mirjam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to have found your blog. Recently I inherited several hand stitched quilt tops that my grandmother made in the 1930s and 40s. So in addition to an addiction to cross stitching and knitting, I'm about to start the adventure of quilting. -- Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Maggie
    Many thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind comments.
    I am now your newest follower :-)
    A very interesting post and met with an eye full of glorious colours. What a wonderful quilt and I think I agree with Max...thats the place it should be making your front room look snug and colourful....lovely!
    Love yr Scottie!

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Maggie!
    Oh, it looks lovely right there! I love all the color! Kitty is a smart cushion-chooser!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is beautiful - it must be hard to sell something you have put so much into, Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maggie, What a gorgeous quilt! I am quite jealous of Max! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Preciosos trabajos y lindo tu blog, las fotos son geniales muy bonitas, te sigo,besos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the vivid colors and the overall scrappy look of your quilt. Looks like kitty found the perfect place for a nap:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO weird. I made a quilt that looks very much like yours. I also followed the pattern of 'Scrap Quilt Sensation' by Katharine Guerrier.
    I'll take a picture and post it for you.
    I haven't got a cat as beautiful as yours though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt...so bright and colorful ..almost jewel like! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you!